Vegan: A Day of Eating

I posted about eating vegan, and it was going really well, and then the ensuing chaos hit. We both started working ~50 hours a week, and our eating habits took a nose dive. For the last two weeks we have been eating whatever was easy and available, and lets just say, those foods aren't vegan friendly. But after a refreshing weekend and an opportunity to get back in the swing of things, I'm finally able to write about what I've been eating.

Wednesday, April 4

  • 1/2 c. oatmeal
  • 1 c. homemade applesauce
  • 1 medium tortilla
  • 1 c. refried beans
  • 2 T. black bean and corn salsa
  • 1 small tortilla
  • 2 T. peanut butter
  • 2 T. stawberry jam
  • 1 medium tortilla
  • 1 c. refried beans
  • 2 T. black bean and corn salsa
  • 2 servings potato chips
Nutritional Facts for April 4
Calories: 1,732 (2,000)
Fat: 54 (57)
Saturated Fat: 12 (12)
Cholesterol: 0 (0)
Sodium: 3,461 (2,300)
Carbs: 262 (270)
Dietary Fiber: 35 (25)
Sugar: 49 (40)
Protein: 56 (50)
Vitamin A: 29 (100)
Vitamin C: 73 (100)
Calcium: 69 (100)
Iron: 150 (100)

*Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron are all as percentages and everything else is grams or milligrams
**Blue numbers are recommended amounts for my age


I would like to point out that this is not what I would ideally eat. A lot of the food from yesterday was packaged as we have not gone grocery shopping lately. Things I need to incorporate more of are fruits and vegetables along with cutting out added sugar and salt. Next week I'll have another post about my food consumption. I wish I could do this daily, but it takes too much time.

Side Notes:

  • I have not been eating vegan for two weeks and I have less energy and feel heavier
  • I've been doing a lot of research on dietary guidelines for americans and plan to write several posts about how eating vegan can in fact be healthy if not healthier for you

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting Nicole! I am not vegan, but have been researching various forms of vegetarianism and vegamism because I find it fascinating! My sister is a vegetarian also. There are some really great resources out there, and I came across a really awesome vegan cookbook I'd like to show you! You can do this, after awhile you'll get in the groove and it will be second nature for you. :)

    ReplyDelete