Laundry Detergent - Homemade

Here is another great way to save money. Make your own laundry detergent. It is simple and it saves tons of money. 

Here is what you need:
2 cups finely grated soap
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
Cheese grater
Container to store

Step 1: Grate soap. 1 bar is about 1 cup.



Step 2: Combine all ingredients into a large container and mix thoroughly. You can shake, stir, or whatever method works best for you.


Step 3: Store in container for use later. This recipe fit in 2 old pasta jars.

Use 1 Tablespoon per load

And it is that easy!

Cost Breakdown:
1 box of Baking Soda (6 cups) = $3.99
1 box of Borax (9 cups) = $4.99
1 bar of soap = $0.50

1 Batch = 1 cup Borax + 1 cup Soda + 2 bars of soap
1 Batch = $0.55 + $0.67 + $1.00 = $2.22
You can get about 60 loads per batch which brings the grand total per load to $0.04!


I've been using this for a couple months now and have not noticed any difference in the cleanness of my clothes. Also, it only takes a few minutes to make. 


Enjoy saving money!

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! I have been wanting to make my own! Once again, your AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this yesterday, I went to youtube and found out how to make homemade fabric softner and homemade clothes refresher (like febreze. I am going to try all three this weeknd and I will post about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made a similar recipe but added a container of oxiclean and a 4 lb box of baking soda. I love it! My bath towels had a musty odor and I was about to throw them away. This detergent took that smell out. I am sold! As an added bonus, my HE washer smells better too. I use 2 T per load

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so into diy home and skin products right now. I am definetly going to have to try this! I am almost out of our last bottle of detergent from wedding gifts then I am going to try it! :) Thanks for posting.

    -Breanne
    restingonyourlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! We recently tried to (unsuccessfully) make some detergent, but looking at your recipe it looks like we didn't use enough bar soap. (only 1/2 a bar with the same portions of the other ingredients) Is the one tbsp for a front loader or a top loader? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete