Reusable Bags made with Oilcloth

Kenny and I are always looking for ways to save money, and one thing we came up with was plastic bags. Kenny takes a cold lunch everyday and always has a plastic bag for a sandwich and another for a snack. So I  got to thinking, what if we had reusable bags? This would save money and the environment. I had this thought a while back, but have not been to the fabric store to get any fabric that would be suitable. And then the awesomeness happened. I was in Meijer browsing the clearance section when I spotted what I had been waiting for. And the great thing is, I didn't know I was waiting for them. They were washable place mats that were on super clearance for $0.30 each. I grabbed the only 2 they had and started plotting my reusable bags in my head.

**Rarely do I find anything good in the clearance section. Most things are in the clearance section for a  reason, but every once in a while, lightning strikes :)



To make the bags, I used the place mats, scissors, highlighter, Velcro, and a sewing machine.
First, I measured and marked the place mat to create a long rectangle.
Once cut out, I folded and sewed the edges.
I left a flap at the top so that I could fold it over when being used.
Next, I pinned the velcro where I wanted and tested it to make sure it worked.
Once the velcro was sewed on, it looked like this.
And what better to put in the bag than a peanut butter and nutella sandwich. They are amazing!




I lucked out and found these on clearance, but you can just buy oilcloth from most fabric stores.

1 comment:

  1. I need to take a sewing class so I can try all of these great things!

    ReplyDelete